After a long and tiring day, do you wonder what you could prepare for dinner? Do you then give into the exhaustion, skip your ‘healthy eating and binge on whatever’s easiest and in arms reach? And even when you know you must stop your binging cycle, in the face of impressive dogged exhaustion. It’s not all too difficult to find a healthy alternative, and the solution is as simple as soup. Soups are easy to make and have a multitude of health benefits. They help in weight management and keep you full for longer. Here are five soup recipes that will blow your mind away with their simplicity and the time they save:
1. Pumpkin Soup
The pumpkin soup is a perfect choice if you plan to lose weight. It contains fewer calories (241 calories) than black bean soup. Carbohydrate content clocks in low (29g), and so is fat content with only 12g.
- For the pumpkin soup, you will need to sauté 2 slices of bacon, along with one chopped onion.
- After sautéing you must drain out the fat from the bacon.
- Add 4 cups of diced pumpkin and 3 and ½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth to the bacon and onion, along with 1 cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of ground ginger.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper, and bring it to a boil. Then, let it simmer for about 7 minutes on medium heat.
- Before serving, add ½ cup of light sour cream.
Your pumpkin soup is ready, replete with beneficial nutrients and an explosive taste.
2. The Black Bean Soup
Black beans are highly nutritious with increased quantities of protein and dietary fiber.
- You will have to sauté one chopped onion, 4 minced garlic cloves, and one tablespoon of cumin in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Next, in the pot, add 3 and ½ cups of low-sodium chicken broth, 3 chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped green bell pepper, and 2 cups of black beans.
- Bring this broth to a boil, and then, cover it and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- You can garnish the soup with 1 tablespoon of freshly snipped cilantro, and some crushed tortilla chips.
- The black bean soup is a classic and contains as many as 245 calories.
- It is very filling, and you can have bread on the side.
The soup also contains 10g protein, 34g carbohydrates, 8g fiber and only 11g fats.
3. Chicken Noodle Soup
If you are in the mood for some noodle soup then chicken noodle soup is your best choice. However, this noodle soup has an interesting twist because it does not include flour-based noodles. Instead, you use zucchini and peel it into thin noodle-like strips.
- Besides the zucchini noodles, you will also need 4 cups of chicken broth, peeled and diced carrots, and diced celery stalks.
- Pour the chicken broth into a pot and add the carrots and celery stalks to it.
- Bring it to a boil and then let is simmer for around 20 minutes for the carrots and celery to become soft.
- Last, add the zucchini noodles and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and garnish using small pieces of chicken.
- Replacing flour-based noodles with zucchini noodles makes it gluten-free.
It is a healthy option for weight loss, especially for those with celiac disease.
4. Country-Style Vegetable Soup
Who does not like piping hot, heart-warming vegetable soup?
- You will need 6 cups of vegetable broth, 3 medium tomatoes, that are peeled and chopped, 2 medium carrots that are peeled and thinly sliced.
- You will also need a 1/2 thinly sliced bell pepper, 1 cup of tomato paste or puree, 2 cups of fresh broccoli, and 1 cup of corn kernel.
- You can use salt and pepper for seasoning. All you have to do is take all the ingredients together in a pot and place it over medium heat.
- You can bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remember to occasionally stir it.
The variety of vegetables used ensures your daily quota of essential nutrients and fiber.
5. Lentil And Tomato Soup
Both lentils and tomatoes are rich fiber sources. Lentils are also sources of necessary protein that contain amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle tissues. Tomatoes contain the antioxidants Vitamins A and C, which help boost your immune system as well as help you have glowing skin and healthier hair.
- So, for this soup, you will obviously require tomatoes, mashed and crushed, and lentils.
- You will require one chopped onion, a cup of peeled and chopped carrots, minced garlic, grated ginger, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, and coriander.
- You will also need plain yogurt and 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth as well as salt and pepper for seasoning.
- First, sauté the onions and carrots in olive oil, in a stockpot, until they begin to soften.
- Next, add the garlic and tomato paste, and the other spices (cinnamon, coriander, ginger, paprika) and cook for a minute till the aromas envelop your kitchen.
- Add the lentils, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth to the stockpot and bring it to a boil.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for about 45 minutes on low flame.
- Serve the hot soup with a dollop of yogurt.
Soups are quick fixes and high on the health quotient. Besides supplementing your daily nutritional requirement, they satisfy your hunger and prevent you from binging. Soups help in fat loss owing to their reduced concentration of saturated fats. The best thing about soups, however, is their rich taste. You must improve your diet as well as include exercises to build the lean muscle necessary to maintain body mass and shape of your body. So, include soups in your diet more generously and live fit and happy.
About the Author: VINEETHA REDDY